A banging headache, waves of nausea and the room spinning around you. We’ve all been there the day after a heavy night of drinking, with 168,000 people searching for “hangover cure” every year in the UK alone.
And even though pubs and bars around the country currently have their doors closed due to the coronavirus pandemic, sales of alcohol in supermarkets have jumped by 22%, suggesting that more of us than ever are drinking at home.
Moreover, we’ve had many reports of our Vitamin C Zooki helping people get through to the other side of their hangovers, including Radio 1’s Nick Grimshaw.
To learn more about how hangovers work and why you may take Vitamin C and other supplements after a night of drinking, we enlisted the help of nutritionist Amanda Callenberg.
By Nutritionist Amanda Callenberg
The best way to avoid a hangover is to know your limits and limit how much alcohol you drink in one sitting. Other ways you can lessen, and possibly speed up your hangover recovery are:
- Eat a balanced meal before you go out: Include fat, protein, and carbohydrates as food in the stomach slows down the absorption of alcohol.
- Hydrate: Alcohol is a diuretic, which means it causes higher levels of urination leading to dehydration. Drink plenty of water, before, during and the day after drinking to keep yourself well hydrated. Aim to drink a glass of water between drinks and have at least one big glass of water before going to sleep.
- Replace lost nutrients: Load up on lots of fresh fruit and vegetables the next day to give yourself a vitamin boost and replace the vital electrolytes and nutrients lost due to excess urination. Supplementing with water soluble vitamins like vitamin C and the B vitamins may also be helpful to make sure you're replacing the vitamins lost from increased urinary excretion. Being depleted in Vitamin C can cause tiredness & fatigue, a weakened immune system and difficulties concentrating.
- Have a hearty breakfast the following day. Alcohol can inhibit glucose production causing low levels of blood sugar, so make sure you have a good hearty breakfast the next day, or a snack before bed, to maintain your blood sugar levels.
Best hangover food
By Nutritionist Amanda Callenberg
Replacing some vital nutrients lost from alcohol, rehydrating and stabilizing your blood sugar levels are key. Eating foods rich in vitamins, minerals and antioxidants will help to provide energy and eliminate toxins from the body, and combining protein, carbohydrates and healthy fats can help to restore blood sugar to a correct level, which may improve some symptoms of a hangover.
This smoothie offers a balance of nutrients which may help you get back on track.
Coconut water: One of the main causes of a hangover is dehydration. Alcohol stops the production of a hormone that helps your body hang on to water, leading to dehydration and the loss of electrolytes like potassium and sodium. Coconut water is rich in these electrolytes, so is a great way to replace them and rehydrate the body.
Banana:Bananas provide a good source of vitamins and minerals that help to rehydrate the body, especially vitamin B6 and potassium which are lost when the body processes alcohol. They are also a good source of magnesium, which can help to calm blood vessels, therefore reducing headaches that come with a hangover. The potassium content in bananas make them an alkaline food which helps to neutralise stomach acid and coat the stomach lining, helping to ease any stomach discomfort.
Greek yogurt: Greek yogurt is a great source of protein, providing the liver with a good supply of amino acids, which are needed to metabolise and remove alcohol. Protein also helps to stabalise energy and will help to slow down the release of sugar from the bananas, helping to give you slow burning fuel to get you through the morning and improve symptoms of a hangover.
Blueberries: Blueberries are rich in vitamin C and antioxidants. Alcohol causes oxidative stress within the body, which leads the body to produce free radicals. Antioxidants in blueberries can help to mop up some of the free radical, preventing cellular damage and inflammation. Berries can also help your liver in the detoxification process.
Spinach: Spinach is loaded with vitamins, minerals and antioxidants including vitamin C, folic acid and sulphur, which are important for supporting the liver to detoxify and flush out toxins from the body caused by breaking down alcohol.
Chia seeds: Chia seeds are extremely hydrating for the body. They absorb up to 10 times their weight in liquid, which helps to regulate body fluid levels and retain electrolytes. When the seeds swell up, they create a gel that can also help to eliminate toxins from the digestive tract. They also provide a good source of healthy omega-3 fats.
Coconut oil:Adding healthy fats will help to balance blood sugar levels and prevent further blood sugar drops. Fats also help your body to absorb other fat soluble nutrients when eaten together.
Honey: The process of breaking down alcohol in the body can inhibit our body’s glucose production resulting in low blood sugar levels. Honey provides natural sugar which helps to replace the sugars that are lost, giving our brain and body a boost of some much needed energy. It also provides natural sweetness.
Cinnamon:Cinnamon helps to stabilize blood sugar levels and is said to be a mood enhancer.
Zooki vitamin C: Vitamin C is a powerful antioxidant. Antioxidants play a vital role in reducing inflammation and preventing cellular damage that can be caused by free radicals. Vitamin C is also a water soluble vitamin so it is easily depleted when we become dehydrated. Adding a shot of YourZooki’s Liposomal Vitamin C is a great way to give your body a boost of much needed antioxidants and restore your energy levels.
- 250g coconut water
- 1/2 small banana
- 250g Full fat Greek yoghurt (optional)
- 85g fresh or frozen blueberries
- handful spinach
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- honey and cinnamon to taste
- 2-3 ice cubes
- 1 sachet of YourZooki Vitamin C
- Place all ingredients (besides YourZooki vitamin C sachet) into a blender and blend until smooth
- Add YourZooki vitamin C sachet and stir well.
- Serve and enjoy!